Friday, August 12, 2016

 
Welcome to New Orleans! Even though I broke my pelvis my second week here, I have been able to still check out a bunch of cool new things. A group of us went to white linen over the weekend and got to see some really cool art galleries and different exhibitions. The wheelchair is definitely limiting things I have access to in the city though, NOLA seems to be pretty inaccessible in terms of wheelchairs.

Yesterday was my orientation for volunteering here at the hospital. Because of my obvious physical limitations at the moment, we aren't exactly sure what kind of volunteering I will be doing. I would love to do tutoring services at lakeside in pediatrics, once I'm healed I will be looking into that. For now though I'm going to try and make the best of my limits, visit patients in the downtown facilities, maybe work with patient's families in the E.R.

We have another orientation tomorrow to check our PPDs and finish going through expectations/rules so I should be figuring out where I will be working shortly. I'm looking forward to it! My doctor's appointment today said that I will probably be in the wheelchair for another month, crutches for a month after that, so studying and getting work in has been difficult but I am learning a lot about mental toughness and will have a new scope to relate to my patients with in the future!

Also, dominos and frozen meals have become my new best friend. My roommate and I have given up on dishes and fallen to the appeal of paper plates (microwavable and no mess, yay!) Shout-out to Yama for the idea. As Charlie Sheen would say, #Winning 

No comments:

Post a Comment